MaryBeth is a wordsmith who celebrates clear, concise writing as an artform. She delights in tackling a complex case and distilling its essence into easily digestible language. She’s the resident scrutinizer, anticipating potential weaknesses in an argument and bullet-proofing briefs accordingly. MaryBeth brings to LippSmith LLP more than a decade of experience serving federal judges in both the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California. In her appellate practice, MaryBeth primarily focused on personal injury matters and plaintiff-side class actions. She has merged her appellate practice into the firm.
MaryBeth volunteers actively in her children’s school, from judging debate tournaments to helping build a more inclusive and antiracist community. She thrives on solitary time in nature, especially night-time walks in the light of the full moon. MaryBeth treasures reading with her children before bed––even if many of the books are now for young adults––and loves exploring the outdoors with her family and their pups.
- Secci v. United Independent Taxi Drivers, Inc., et al. (Cal. Ct. App. 2017)
Disclaimer: The case listed here provides an example of some of the successes the lawyers at LippSmith LLP have obtained. This result does not indicate or guarantee future results. The success of each case depends on its specific facts, circumstances, and merit.
- Class Actions
- Personal Injury
- Construction Defect
- Intellectual Property
- Business Litigation
- Government Claims
- University of Southern California Gould School of Law, J.D., Order of the Coif
- Northwestern University, B.S., cum laude
- Career & Term Law Clerk, Hon. Dorothy W. Nelson, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Capital Habeas Staff Attorney, U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers, 2020–Present
Professional Affiliations & Engagements
- RISE, Two-Year Anniversary Celebration, Speaker
- The Write Stuff: Win Your Case with Compelling Briefing and the Tools of Rhetoric (CLE)
- “Do Yourself A Favor: Hire a Ghost Writer,” The Advocate (December 2019)
- “Write a Superior Opening Brief,” The Advocate (December 2018)
- “Bringing a Ninth Circuit Appeal,” The Advocate (December 2017)
This website provides general information that does not constitute legal advice. The best way to obtain guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a free consultation, please complete the intake form or call the firm.
Fields marked with an * are required.
Disclaimer: The use of this this form or the internet to communicate with LippSmith LLP or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Do not include any confidential or time-sensitive information using this form.